Frequently Asked Questions

To ask a question of the Goshen Police Department email us at Police@GoshenCity.Com.  Questions should be about local ordinances or state laws.  Questions that are asked frequently will be posted below with appropriate answers. 


  1. How do I get a permit to carry a handgun?

  2. How do I get a copy of my accident/case report?

  3. How do I get my vehicle out of impound?

  4. Do you have Spanish speaking office staff?

  5. How do I register my bicycle?

  6. Am I required to register my handgun?

  7. How do I get  VIN check?

  8. How do I get a copy of my criminal history?

  9.  I need fingerprints taken, what do I do?


  1. Handgun License:  State law governs the procedures for handgun permits.  Applicants must be at least 18 years old and not have any felony      convictions.  Misdemeanor convictions on charges of domestic battery or violence also are not allowed.  To receive a permit through the Goshen Police Department, a person must reside within the city limits of Goshen.  To give staff the opportunity to complete the paperwork prior to the close of business, no applications will be accepted after 4:00 p.m. weekdays.  Permits may not be renewed more than 180 days prior to expiration.  Upon completion of the online portion ( ) for a permit to carry you must then proceed to the police department for further processing.  All applications are subject to a criminal history check.  At the conclusion of the background check, the records division will complete with you a fingerprint card and other relevant information to the applicant and collect the appropriate local fee (cash only).  The applicant is responsible for sending the permit request, fingerprint card, and fees to the Indiana State Police for processing.

  1. Accident/Case Report:  The records division of the Goshen Police Department is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Due to the time necessary for processing, requests for fingerprints and handgun permits must be initiated prior to 4 p.m.  Reports are usually available within 24 hours of the incident.  Photo identification is required of victims requesting a copy of their incident reports.  A limited criminal history may be obtained at our office.  The requestor must be present in our office with photo identification.  Government agencies may contact our office for instructions to obtain criminal histories.  The records department accepts cash payments, cashiers check and money orders made out to the Goshen Police Department.  No credit, debit cards, or personal checks can be accepted at this time.  The current schedule of charges at the records counter is:

  1. Impound:  Vehicles require being towed for many reasons.  If your vehicle was towed and impounded under the direction of the Goshen Police Department the following contains our usual guidelines for release of the vehicle:

There are exceptions to these guidelines depending on the circumstance for which the vehicle was towed.  Please contact our office if you need clarification for your specific impound.


  1. Spanish Speaking:  The Goshen Police Department does provide a Spanish office staff member.  This person's hours are now Monday - Friday 8 Am - 5 Pm.

  1. Bicycle:  The Goshen Police Department recommends registering your bicycles.  This will assist citizens and officers in case of a lost or stolen bicycle.  The registration contains the bicycle's make, model, serial number, and owner's name and address.  The cost of registering your bicycle is $5.00.  You may register your bicycle on Saturdays from 8-noon at the Central and College Avenue Fire Stations and at the Goshen Police Department during regular business hours.

  1. Handgun Registration:  Handgun registration is not required in the state of Indiana but it is highly recommended.  There is no cost to register your handgun.  Registering your handgun can assist in the investigation, identification and/or recovery of a lost or stolen firearm.  To register your firearm, bring your unloaded firearm to the Goshen Police Department during regular business hours.

  1. VIN ChecksVIN checks are required by the BMV in order to apply for a title for a previously out of state titled vehicle and in order to apply for a repaired salvaged vehicle.  The fee for a VIN check is $5.00.  VIN checks may be obtained at the Goshen Police Department or at the vehicle's location by contacting the non-emergency dispatch number 533-4151.  Salvage title checks are done between the hours of 7:00am and 2:00pm Tuesday-Friday.  Salvage title checks will be completed by our department only for those residents residing within the city limits.  Please be aware that you are required to have all  receipts and before/after photographs for repairs to a salvaged vehicle.  This process may take several appointments to complete but you will only pay one fee. 

  1. Criminal History:  Our office staff can produce your local limited criminal history during regular business hours.  The requestor MUST be present with photo identification and there is a $7.00 cash fee.  *Criminal history for immigration purposes is generally required from the State of Indiana.  Go to for instructions on obtaining a criminal history from the state.

  1. Fingerprints:  Our office can assist you with your need to be fingerprinted for education, employment, etc. from 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday.  Photo identification is required and there is a $5.00 per card cash fee.  **If you wish to have or are required to obtain electronic fingerprinting, we are currently unable to provide this service.  You can obtain electronic fingerprinting from a private company contracted with the State of Indiana.  Please go to for location and appointment information.